I decided to follow-up my post 'Wake Up with an Apple' with a recipe. In case you missed the post, it included how apples contain natural sugars, which your body can turn into energy and fuel you for the day.
These breakfast bars are a tasty, energizing, and healthy breakfast idea!
2 cups Quaker oats
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 apple, peeled and diced
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Grease an 11x7 inch baking pan. If you don't have one, you can use an 8x8, 9x9, or if necessary an 11x13.
3) Place peanut butter and butter in a microwave safe dish. Heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds or until butter is melted. Stir together.
4) Place all ingredients, except fruit, into a bowl. Using an electric beater or mixer, beat ingredients together for approximately 1 minute.
5) Peel a whole apple and thinly chop into pieces, no larger than the size of your thumb nail.
6) Stir the apples into the oatmeal mixture.
7) Pour the mixture into greased pan and press entire mixture down firmly with your fingers.
8) Place pan into the oven and cook for 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. If you are using an 11x13 pan, it will take a bit less time because the mixture will be much thinner.
9) Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing into strips. Let the remaining bars cool entirely before you place in tupperware or wrap them in foil.