New year, new recipes! So many fun and delicious recipes I want to share with you guys this year. Starting off right with this healthy lasagna. Plenty of protein layered between zucchini in place of pasta. SO good! Give it a try, and let me know what you think!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
2 large zucchini
1 pound ground beef
1 pound Italian sausage
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 16 ounce tomato sauce
1 cup tomato paste
1 pound fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons parsley
1 tablespoon oregano
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F
2. Slice the zucchini lengthwise into small, thin sheets that resemble lasagna
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the Italian sausage for 5-7 minutes per side, until browned. Remove from the skillet, and set aside. Add the ground beef to the skillet, and cook for 5 minutes, using a wooden sppon to break up the beef. Add the onion and green pepper, and continue cooking until the beef is no longer pink, about another 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, half the basil, parsley, and oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat.
5. To assemble the lasagna, start by spreading half the meat sauce into the bottom of an 8 by 12 inch baking dish. Layer half the zucchini slices over the meat sauce. Add the Italian sausage and all the mushrooms. Continue layering the lasagna by adding the remaining meat sauce and zucchini sheets.
6. Cover with foil, and bake the lasagna for 45 minutes. Carefully remove the foil, raise the oven temperature to 375 degrees F, and bake for an additional 10 - 15 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven, and top with the remaining basil. Allow to rest for 5 moinutes before serving.