In the middle of a cold winter, there is nothing better than a big bowl of soup. I have been using my crockpot several times a week this winter, and experimenting with various new recipes. One being Paleo Butternut Squash Soup - it hit the spot!
- 6 cups chopped butternut squash (3 pound squash)
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I used granny smith)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock (or more if desired)
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup almond milk
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Dried parsley or chopped chives (optional)
1. Place squash, apples, carrots, onion, garlic, stock and seasoning in a slow cooker on low and allow to cook for 6-8 hours.
2. Add the almond milk and stir to combine. Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth (you may need to do two batches), or use an immersion blender to blend the soup. Add additional stock if a thinner consistency is desired.
3. Add additional sea salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chopped bacon and dried parsley as a topping.