I decided to make enchiladas for friends of ours who just had a baby. I figured this would be an easy recipe to put together, and easy for them to warm up. Plus, they love Mexican food! I change up my recipes for enchiladas quite a bit, but this version seems to be a favorite in our household, so of course, I wanted to share it here :)
1 can cream of chicken (low sodium)
1 can black beans (organic)
1 large can red enchilada sauce
3/4 cup sour cream (Greek yogurt is a great substitute)
1/4 cup favorite salsa
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese (1 cup for mixture, 1 cup for topping)
4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
8 - 8 inch tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a medium bowl, mix together cooked, shredded chicken, cream of chicken, black beans, sour cream, salsa, and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Pour half can of enchilada sauce into the mixture
- Pour just enough enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of baking dish (I left a little in the can to pour on top of filled enchiladas too)
- Spoon mixture into tortilla shells. If you have mixture leftover, you can spoon on top of filled enchiladas. (I chose not to)
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over filled tortillas.
- Top filled enchiladas with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through
My husband and I mixed the leftover enchilada mixture with quinoa and called it dinner - superb idea from my man!