Pizza is easily one of my favorite foods. Unfortunately, it isn't the healthiest option out there. So, for when I find myself giving into my undeniable pizza craving, I have decided to mix in a few healthier alternatives - like this cauliflower crust pizza. It isn't the best pizza out there, in this pizza-lovers opinion, but it's definitely yummy! Plus, I don't feel as guilty after eating a piece...or 4 :)
1 small to medium sized head of cauliflower - should yield 2 to 3 cups once processed
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil (crush it even more between your fingers)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (crust it even more between you fingers)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
Desired amount of sauce, cheese for topping, and other toppings.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray your baking pan/sheet with nonstick cooking oil.
- Wash and thoroughly dry a small head of cauliflower.
- Cut off the florets, you don't need much stem.
- Pulse in your food processor for about 30 seconds, until you get powdery snow like cauliflower. See below photo.
You should end up with 2 to 3 cups cauliflower.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover.
- Microwave for 4 minutes.
- Dump cooked cauliflower onto a clean tea towel and allow to cool for a bit before attempting the next step.
- Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it up in the dish towel and wring it out. You want to squeeze out as much water as possible. This will ensure you get a chewy pizza like crust instead of a crumbly mess.
- Dump cauliflower into a bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (crush up the leaves even more between your fingers before adding), 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (crush up the leaves between your fingers before adding), 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Add the egg and begin to mix together.
- Once mixed together, use your hands to form the dough into a crust on your oiled pan.
- Pat it down thoroughly, you want it nice and tightly formed together. Don't make it too thick or thin.
- Bake for 8 - 11 minutes.
- Add however much sauce, cheese, and toppings you would like.
- Put pizza back in the hot oven and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and slightly golden.
- Let cool, slice, and indulge!