Inflammation is running wild in our bodies these days, leading to all kinds of seemingly disconnected symptoms, from joint pain to food allergies to digestive troubles. Turmeric's active ingredient, curcumin, is one of nature's most powerful anti-inflammatory herbs.
Most often, tumeric is enjoyed when flavoring delicious Indian curries. Turmeric is what gives these dishes that orange glow (and it unfortunately stains your counters and blender). You can also find it as a whole root, if you're lucky to live somewhere where that is available, but I use the dried, powdered version.
12 Health Benefits of Tumeric
1. Antioxidant: Curcumin has the ability to quench free radicals that can cause mutation in our DNA.
2. Cancer Preventative: The cancer-causing effects of cigarette smoke, barbequing, and smoke of any kind are suppressed by curcumin.
3. Anti-Inflammatory: Curcumin’s anti-inflammatory powers are as effective as many anti-inflammatory drugs, including effective as phenylbutazone and cortisone without the side effects.
4. Liver Protective: Curcumin has been shown to have a protective effect on the liver and is incredibly effective at increasing bile release, which helps with fat digestion.
5. Wound Healing: Natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties to keep the infection away from cuts and burns.
6. Super Brain Function: Curcumin greatly reduces the rate of mental decline. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
7. Kills the Bad Guys: Curcumin has anti-microbial properties that fight the nasty guys such as Clostridium, Streptococcus, Entamoeba histolytica, and several pathogenic fungi.
8. Natural Pain Killer: Helps reduce sensations of chronic pain.
9. Promote Weight loss: Helps manage weight, and aid in fat metabolism.
10. Reduce Depression: A staple in Chinese medicine for helping lift mood in cases of depression.
11. Boost Effectiveness of Cancer Drugs: Studies have shown that turmeric can boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
12. Skin Healing: Can help internally and topically with psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Stay tuned for a turmeric tea recipe coming to the blog soon!